Activity 1: Yasmin's story
- A digital projector and screen connected to the internet to play the Yasmin’s story video
- Copies of the Yasmin’s story activity sheet (PDF 253kb) - new window (optional)
- Show the children the Yasmin’s story video, which tells the story of a 10 year old girl who runs out into the road and is hit by a car. Two girls called to her from across the road after school and offered to lend her a cool magazine she acted without thinking. Yasmin ended up with a painful broken arm and ribs, stuck at home over the summer holidays and unable to travel to Turkey for the family holiday.
- Talk about the video, ensuring that the children know what happened in the story and understand the cause of the accident along with its consequences. Questions to discuss might include:
- Who is Yasmin? Tell me 5 things about her.
- What happened to Yasmin?
- What does she wish she’d done that afternoon?
- How did the accident affect Yasmin? Are there any other consequences?
- Drama can also be used to respond to the story:
- Hot-seating: let a confident child take on the role of Yasmin and let the class quiz her about the accident and its effects.
- Role-play in groups: in threes let children play and swap the roles of Yasmin and her parents, talking about how she got hurt.
- Alternatively, use Yasmin’s story activity sheet.