Activity 1: Introducing the theme
- This theme can be introduced through the Bright is right story, to be read aloud (PDF 419kb) - new window
- Samples of fluorescent and reflective clothing
After the story, talk about what can be learned from it and ask questions:
- Why was Amy dressed as a witch? Where was she going? What happened to Peter and Sam? Why did the car nearly hit them? Why did Amy wear bright clothes the next day?
- Show the children a reflective armband or other item of clothing and explain how it works in the dark (see the extension activities below). Also show the fluorescent clothing and talk about how this can help drivers to see you when you are near traffic and how it can keep children safe, like Amy in the story.
- Emphasise that it is sometimes difficult for drivers to see small children especially when the weather is bad.