Be Bright, Be Seen
If you’re a motorist then you’ll know how difficult it can sometimes be to see pedestrians wearing dark clothes at night or when visibility is poor. Your child will have been learning the road safety message ‘Be Bright, Be Seen’ at his or her nursery or school, and it’s important that you as a parent or carer help your child to be easily seen near traffic, as well as setting an example to your children by wearing something bright or white too.
How can my child be seen more easily?
1. On dull days your child can wear bright or fluorescent colours
- Special high-visibility tabards and other clothing can be bought from many retailers
- Fluorescent armbands can also be worn over coats and other clothing
- Bags are also available in bright colours or with high-visibility strips
2. If walking near traffic at night reflective clothing is needed
- Reflective clothing reflects light from car and bike headlamps
- Reflective armbands and clothing can be bought for children
- Remember that fluorescent colours do not show up in the dark